University of Osnabrueck
Institute of Environmental Systems Research
Tel: +49 541 969 2424
Fax: +49 541 969 2599
Dr. Ann-Kathrin Koessler
Behavioural Environmental Economics and Public Policy
The aim of my research is to generate a better understanding of human behavior in socio-ecological systems. I examine how pro-environmental behaviour can be motivated and strengthened, and what policy instruments are effective to do so. Currently, I am focusing on the question of how participation, self-commitment and empathy affect associated pro-social and pro-environmental behaviour.
In my research, I am employing experimental (lab and field), conceptual and theoretical methods.
Since November 2018, I am an IPBES (world biodiversity council) fellow and contribute to the report "Assessment of Diverse Values of Nature".
Work in progress
- The role of participatory workshops in sustainable development processes (with Juan-Felipe Ortiz-Riomalo and Stefanie Engel)
- Behavioural Economics and agricultural policies (with Fabian Thomas and Stefanie Engel)
- Heterogenities and social goods (with Julia Müller)
- Self-reports in group efforts (with Maria Cubel, Robert Hoffmann, Santiago Sanchez)
- Andreoni, J., Koessler, A. K., & Serra-Garcia, M. (2018). Who gives ? - The Roles of Empathy and Impulsiveness in K. Scharf and M. Tonin (Eds.) The Economics of Philanthropy (pp.49-62). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. Working Paper
- Koessler, A. K., Page, L., & Dulleck, U. (2018). Public Statements of Good Conduct Promote Pro-Social Behavior. Working Paper [submitted]
- Vincent, M. & Koessler, A. K. (2018). Mapping Moral Pluralism in Behavioural Spillovers: A cross-disciplinary account of the multiple ways we engage in moral valuing. [submitted], Please email for a copy.
- Koessler, A. K. (2018). Setting new behavioural standards: Sustainability pledges and how conformity influences their outreach. [submitted]
- Thomas, F., Koessler, A. K., & Engel, S. (2018). Stupsende Agrarpolitik- Nudging zu einer nachhaltigen Landwirtschaft. Vierteljahreshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung 87(2).
- Koessler, A. K. & Engel, S. (2018). Policies as information carriers: perceptional and behavioural changes due to environmental policies. Please email for a copy.
General Public Policy:
- Koessler, A. K., Torgler, B., Feld, L. P., & Frey, B. S. (2016). Commitment to Pay Taxes: A Field Experiment on the Importance of Promise, CESifo Working Paper Series No. 6186. [revise & resubmit].
Dulleck, U. , Howell, N. J., Koessler, A. K., & Mason, R. F. (2018). Insights into the Impact of Bankruptcy's Public Record on Entrepreneurial Activity: Evidence from Economic Experiments. Working Paper [submitted]
- Policy Report:
Dulleck, U. , Koessler, A. K., Schaffner, Markus, & Torgler, Benno (2014). Improving communication with directors of firms in liquidation. ASIC Policy Report 428. Sydney, NSW: Australian Securities and Investments Commission
- SS 2018: Environmental Behaviour and Policy
This course aims to provide an understanding of the basic policy instruments how environmentally damaging behaviour can be regulated. Standard economic approaches as well as behaviour based interventions, such as nudges, will be discussed. The course is designed for an interdisciplinary audience and the language of instruction will be English.